Carotid ultrasound: ultrasound examination enables fast, safe and non-invasive diagnosis of the carotid arteries. The image obtained on the screen of the ultrasound machine allows for the assessment of:
- blood flow through the carotid arteries thanks to the Doppler method,
- the thickness of the walls of the carotid arteries, especially its inner and middle layers (IMT – intima-media thickness), which is used to assess the cardiovascular risk,
- the severity of atherosclerotic stenosis (a key study in the prevention of stroke and necessary to qualify patients for interventional treatment using carotid angioplasty or surgical removal of atherosclerotic plaque).
The study is especially important:
- in the prevention of stroke in high-risk patients,
- diagnostics of headaches and dizziness, scotomas in front of the eyes, temporary disturbances of consciousness and fainting.